Monday 8 October 2007

Spring has sprung ....a leak!!


It would appear that spring HAS sprung a leak - as you can see by the photo, Oompaloompah certainly knows the best spot in the house - on the windowsill, on her cushion with the rain beating down outside and the heatpump doing its best on top of her - why did cats get such perceptive behaviours?!
It has been a strange mix of weather recently - and not just affecting Canterbury. We in Canterbury, have a strange weather pattern called the Norwester ( a VERY dry wind that comes over from the West Coast after travelling from Australia. It hits the Southern Alps on the western side, rises up and dumps its moisture, and carries onto hit the Canterbury Plains with strong - occasionally VERY strong, dry winds, which play havoc with sufferers of hay fever-)
On Saturday night we had winds that blew roofing iron off homes, knocked over sheds and created damage and mayhem up and down the island. But the North Island was not spared either. To get from my Nephews home in Greytown -sotreadsoftly
to the capital city of Wellington, they must navigate this hill, and motorists were being advised to stay off the hill over the weekend.
Needless to say, today is an inside day, and a great opportunity to spend time with you. My only regret on my blog, is that, unlike my clever friends and family (see links to the side) I am not arty crafty, more sneaky crafty, so I have nothing to share with you about what wonderful creations I am making on my quiet days - but how I love hearing what Fiona and Al and the others are up to. Should anyone read this and just want to reply and start a conversation, I would LOVE to hear from anyone :)
Since my last post I have had the news that I have osteo-arthritis in my left knee - so I now have a fitness regime on, and the challenge to lose many kilos in order that I might take the pressure off the leg - so it's all on - and I shall need some encouragement - losing weight is not an easy thing after carrying excess for more than 25years!! While I don't want tips (I only got this way by opening my mouth more to eat than talk, and god knows I talk enough!), but encouragement in truckloads would be great:)
The school term started again today, and we are welcoming a new principal into the school with a powhiri at 11am this morning. A powhiri is a Maori welcome. I shan't be going to the powhiri as I shall be at the local pool walking against a Lazy River for exercise for my sore knee
.
I have a bit of supply teaching this next fortnight, and that is good - I am wanting to re-do the bathrooms in our home, and Sir Ladbrook agrees - but I like to pay for what I want around the house, and he pays for what is needed - sounds fair to me!
Fortunately my friend Poppiesanddaisies is in the process of buying a block of land and the ensuing house and landscaping, so I am hoping to live my livfe vacariously through that with her and John - I have never built a new house, so choosing materials and carpets and designs will be VERY exciting. I know that Fiona and John are looking forward to it!
Enough! I am sitting here as I write this wondering if ANYONE reads my blog or if I am doing it for my own consolation?!*&%*
If you ARE reading this please enjoy it. Have a great one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm reading your blog and what a lovely newsy post. Blogs don't have to be about craft. There are lots of blog themes going on out there. Some people write about cooking, their animals, photography, life in general...the list is endless. I think that people are always interested to see photos of your home and surrounding areas. There are millions of people who will never get the opportunity to see this beautiful country.
It has been incredibly windy here as well. There's no way I would have attempted the Rimutukas but some have to do it every day. Rather them!
Hey, I'm sending bucketfuls of positive vibes from my island to yours with regards to the weight loss. I think you look great just the way you are if truth be told but if it's to ease your knee then it's no doubt a wise move. Go for it Auntie P!!!!!